Thursday, May 24, 2007

Downsizing Blues

OK...I'm really sad about people getting old and having cancer. I know...that's the way of the world.

But I'm projecting it on the downsizing project.

Nothing matters, everything matters.

The picture shows books piled on top of my file cabinet waiting to be cataloged. They have survived a round or two of tossing books.

I look at it like a series of ever finer sieves. Things escape being discarded or given away once only to be considered for disposal again and again with an ever more critical eye.

I told FFP today that I thought I would stop cleaning out my office where things are too infused with nostalgia and regrets and clean out the kitchen or something. In my office, there are too many souvenirs and photos. And while I usually look at them as the happy times that they were...after a while it just starts to seem like a crushing march of time.

No comments: