Thursday, January 04, 2007

Eat More Healthy Food!

Working my way down the resurrected resolutions I find another of those pesty "this never ends" type of resolution. Lose five pounds? Sure watch the scale, celebrate victory. But eat more healthy food? You get up every day and it's all over again with the fruit, the salad, the rich in Omega-something fish.

Well, I'm sitting here eating a Clementine. (I love sweet, easy-to-peel, no seed Citrus because I'm lazy but these gems seem only to be around and at their best in the winter.) I had a smoothie made from bananas that were getting a bit ripe, no fat yogurt and a drop or two of honey (local) and vanilla (not local). I had salad with carrots, green onions and raisins on the top. Slathered with Eastside Feta dressing, but still. Salmon and steamed squash medley may be dinner. (If FFP cooks and doesn't get a sudden notion for eating dinner in the bar at Fonda San Miguel restaurant around the corner as he did last night.)

It's a long slog to eat in a more healthy manner. A lot of choices, over a long time. So many things are like that.

Yeah, it's a long road with potholes full of alcoholic beverages, hamburgers, fries, barbecue and huge portions of cheese. I left the grated cheese off my salad a few minutes ago. But only because I forgot. I'm not that good. Fact is...cheese is fundamental for me. My bones may be stronger because of it or I may have high cholesterol because of it, but cheese is essential to my psyche.

I was reading the Science Times from yesterday's The New York Times (it's a regular feature on Tuesday). I was reading it today on the exercise bicycle (yes, I exercised) and there was an article about free will and how maybe we don't really exactly have it. Which means, of course, that whether I lose five pounds, drink more water, eat healthier foods, etc. is perhaps predetermined. My destiny is cheese. It's in my DNA.

No comments: