Saturday, December 09, 2006

Embracing the Season

We all do Christmas (or Hanukkah or the 'season') in our own way.

Three years ago, one of the vendors at Uncommon Objects reenvisioned a green formal as Christmas tree. It still makes me laugh.

I never do a tree any more. But I've been know to decorate with hundreds of bendable, posable Santas and reindeer and snowmen and such.

You will currently find lights outside our house. Including a large wreath on the chimney with a pink flamingo and wire flamingo 'reindeer' pulling a sleigh. It isn't opulent, but it has a certain esprit!

We've been making the rounds of homes where they do things right, however. A historic house made bright with the traditional tree and such, a modern home with clever mini-trees, hearths done up, large glass bowls of lighted ornaments.

Last night was what was billed as a casual shindig in an opulent nouveau riche castle of sorts, made more magnificent by decorating every available space for the holiday.

I observed to FFP that I would just soak in their decorations and avoid putting up any of my own.

While I was standing in line for some of the host's whiskey, someone from the top of Austin's social ladder, commented on my holiday card. [Ed. It has odd pictures from Paris on it.] "We usually leave after Thanksgiving for London and Paris, but this year we had something to do and couldn't do that."

I was wearing my red sweater that I only trot out for the holiday and a black leather coat. One woman said she hadn't read the invitation about it being Christmas Casual until she was leaving the house. She had on amazing red shoes and a nice dress. I heard one woman comment that the hostess was pretty dressed up. "I wonder what she'd wear for 'formal'," someone observed. I think her outfit involved fur somehow. I don't notice these things so much. Yeah, I think her top had a fur collar. I did see someone show up in a floor length fur, too.

Margaret Wright (she's locally well-known) played Christmas music on an opulent piano with carvings and inlays while people were mostly engrossed in their own conversations. Jeffrey's catered. (Ditto on the locally well-known.) They were passing around bites of seared tuna this, venision that, mushroom thing and their famous oysters on yucca chips. There was a display of iced cookies that were too beautiful to eat. (Although I did eat two perfect candy cane shapes with perfect red and white stripes. Sugar cookies and Jack Daniels. Yeah.)

There was a basket when you came in for people to drop in checks for the Helping Hand Home for Children. I hope the kids got some money for a toy to make their Christmas bright. I'm sure the hosts will make sure of that. Several people wondered where they stored all the stuff when it wasn't Christmas. I bet they have a holiday storage room somewhere. You never see anything but the entertainment areas of these homes. Not that more room was needed for the crowd since that area had five fireplaces, room for two trees, etc.

No comments: