Thursday, December 07, 2006

A Perfect Day

Like many journal (diary, blog, whatever) writers, I use the medium for a little self-analysis. Back when I worked and during the years when I was seeking the life that suited me (instead of settling for the pretty darn good life I had), I would write down what would constitute a 'perfect day.'

This day almost always involved exercising and eating and drinking with friends and something creative. You know like taking a picture of yourself reflected in a shop window. I'm easily entertained really. A little reading, a little writing, a glass of wine.

Right after I retired I wrote about a day that was a good imitation of my fantasy. And then another one came along that was pretty well up there.

Today was not like that. I did get to play tennis. I went shopping briefly. But FFP was having a little problem with his ten-year-old car and so I had to go pick him up to try to get that fixed. Which they did. Meanwhile, however, we'd convinced ourselves that buying a new Accord was reasonable and the new car people had found one that met our specs. There is something I really hate about buying cars. This couldn't have been easier. We discovered an old and dear friend working in sales at our dealer and we let them make a lot of money so there wasn't a lot of haggling and the hardest part was cleaning out all the change, flashlights, books, magazines and other detritus that had collected in the old car. I just hate cars and car buying really. So today wasn't ideal, but it was far from bad. And those other days...they were great and I even wrote about them so I can remember why.

No comments: