Thursday, November 01, 2007

Goodbye, Friend

Karen Koock Kuykendall, 1937-2007. This is a picture I shot of a picture that hangs in her home, a souvenir of her young self in an Austin theater production. You can see a picture of her here on Austin Daily Photo, taken in September as she greeted hundreds of well wishers at Green Pastures even as she battled the cancer that would take her life last night.

I loved seeing Karen perform. (She even gave us a song at that event in September.) But, even more, I loved having a drink with her or getting a coveted invitation to a salon-style brunch or dinner or cocktail party at her house. Last summer, she graciously helped us host an intimate dinner at her big, gracious dining table to help raise money for the new Ballet Austin home. She was a longtime, hard-working board member for Ballet Austin in addition to being a stalwart supporter of Zach Scott Theatre, which is planning to name a new stage for her in their new building.

There is a hole in the heart of Austin today.

2 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

When I walked into the kitchen this morning, John Aielli was playing Karen's Cole Porter medley. I thought, "Oh, how wonderful", then as the song finished he said that she'd died. She was wonderful on stage and her voice was unique - I'm sorry you and Forrest lost your friend.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

smilnsigh said...

1937 hu? Ouch, I was born in 1937. And I have no intention of shuffling off yet. -grin-

Mari-Nanci