Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Where Does It Hurt?

I am a medical nihilist. When something hurts I figure it will get better. Usually, I give it time and maybe OTC drugs and it does. However, my teeth and mouth have been bothering me for nearly three months. It started with some elective dental work. The dentist felt an old filling should be removed because of a crack and the tooth crowned. I've been back to get a permanent crown (when I complained about the discomfort) and another time to get the dentist to find out why my mouth remains uncomfortable. But he didn't figure it out. I go again tomorrow. It alternatively aches near the crown and the older crown beside it. Pain occasionally refracts around my mouth. I think I've finally pinned that down, but an annoying other symptom has come up, too.

The trouble with pain is it is hard to pin down. Sometimes it almost doesn't hurt at all. (Admittedly, these times may be tracking with my use of Ibuprofen. Or whiskey. Or maybe they're just random.) Sometimes there is a raw "nerve hanging in the cold air" feeling. Sometimes it hurts to press the gum line. Especially near the old crown that is the neighbor to the new crown. There is no discomfort eating particularly or pressing straight against the tooth. No particular hot or cold sensitivity. The dentist did an Xray, adjusted the crown and prescribed an antibiotic regimen to see if that helped maybe indicating an infection and need for a root canal. Neither the adjustment or the antibiotic seemed to make much difference But it's hard to say given the volatility of the pain levels and locations. I hate trying to track down this thing and I have to wonder...if I hadn't let him drill out that filling....hmm. Preventative dentistry indeed!

As to the other malady that's come along with this problem, I think I may have a syndrome distinct from the possible problem with a tooth. It is called 'burning mouth symdrome.' My gums, tongue, lips burn and I taste a metallic taste and sometimes my mouth tingles or feels a little numb. It occurs with the tooth pain mostly but sometimes the ache is there without this and, maybe, vice versa. It builds up during the day usually. Apparently the cause of burning mouth syndrome can be thrush (fungal infection in the mouth and I haven't had a test or taken an antifungal), allergies, vitamin deficiency, prescription drugs, psychological problems, irritation, diabetes (only it would be accompanied by dry mouth and I don't have that), dental problems, yada yada. But in many cases burning mouth is just chalked up as a mystery. It is what is left when the causes and cures have been tried. A mystery often found in the post-menopausal woman but not affected by hormone therapy. (Yes, that is Internet research. My dentist just asked if I was depressed last time I visited. Now I know why. This time, if he asks, I'm going to say I'm as happy as a person can be whose mouth has hurt for three months!)

I've been getting the occasional sort of sinus headache, too, on the side with the new dental work. But that seems to have stopped mostly.

When doctors diagnose patients from their pain it's like a whispering game with nerves. I'm used to things just getting better. Today, after a good night's sleep (which followed a really bad night's sleep), my mouth doesn't feel too bad. I played tennis. I worked out a little. Sometimes it feels better if I exercise. Tomorrow I'm telling all this to my dentist. Or making him read this blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,

Could it be mercury poisoning or something related, from having mercury released back into your system when the dentist drilled out the old filling, which was probably mercury?

Good luck with getting past it, whatever it is.

Kate

Linda Ball said...

The amalgam fillings, as I understand it, have mercury but it is in a state that cannot enter your system. More likely, the dental work created a problem or damaged nerves which precipitated the problem. At least, that's my take by reading the Internet. Which is always a dangerous way to get a diagnosis. But sometimes I think it is less dangerous than getting one from our health system!