Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Pleasure of Wearing Things Out

When your shoelaces break, when a small hole or two starts to develop in your sweatshirt, there is that 'ah, gee' thing you experience. But, if you are me, I then figure it's time for something new or time to revel in the patina of something old. There is a certain 'je ne sais crois' in a ratty old sweatshirt or a pair of jeans you've wore out and softened over years of wear and laundry. People today buy clothes distressed by the manufacturer. (Even I admit that my jeans don't start out as stiff 501's. Of course, part of the that is my hips and thighs can't deal with 501's!)

The photo is a detail of a picture I took in 2003 of random stuff I'd collected in a drawer or box...spare shoelaces (and whimsical ones at that) and memorabilia and little junk. I have been sorting and paring down this sort of stuff all over the house. And still it appears somewhere else, in a forgotten corner.

No comments: