Monday, December 09, 2013

Possessions...Cameras

The Visible Woman...owns.

My dad once said that he'd bought a lot of cameras but had never owned one. I don't think he ever shot a picture that I saw but he posed for lots of them.

I bet I've owned ten or fifteen cameras. Maybe more. Currently we have no less than five digital ones that we actually use. Four point-and-shoot ones. And a digital SLR with a couple of lenses that FFP bought recently. I think there are two old point and shoots somewhere that I should get rid of. They may have issues. They are probably in a sack somewhere with other techy things that should be disposed of properly.

My first camera was probably a cheap plastic film camera. Our family had one of those Brownie box cameras, I know, because I see it around my sister's neck in a photo I have. I don't know who took the picture or with what camera.

One of my very favorite cameras was a Polaroid 101. (See an entry about that here.)

I had many film cameras over the years. A tiny 16MM camera that I took on my first trip to Europe in 1972. I had a long stream of other film cameras, too, with several film formats. There was this one type where you could select to shoot panoramas or, I think, two other formats. What was that?

When digital cameras came out, our first one didn't have a review screen. You had to load them onto the computer to get a look.

All these cameras. Lots of photos. Still have slides and prints lying around from the pre-digital era. And years and years of digital pictures on the computer and back-up drives.

And, you know what? I'm not sure I ever read the instruction book on any of them! Oh, maybe that Polaroid but then it didn't have many settings!

The above picture was taken with a tiny digital camera (a Canon S1) that I carry around all the time. If you've ever read my blog, you know I'm obsessed with these mostly self-portrait, mostly shop window, reflections.

And, yes, I know...your phone or tablet has a dandy camera.

Yeah, Dad, I've bought a lot of cameras. And owned them, too. And used them. And I use the pictures to remember things.

No comments: