Friday, June 09, 2006

The Den of Bacchus

Yeah...the Repaire de Bachhus. I actually bought all my wine in restaurants on our visit. But if the weather had been more hospitable for a picnic...I might have gone in this place instead of just shooting the window. I don't regret not buying some French wine and bringing it home. There is lots of good French wine available right here in Austin. What I regret is not buying a bottle of Picon and bringing it home. French peasants mix this with beer and maybe a little lemon syrup. Yum. (I say peasants drink it because it is widely available in places we've been but was not part of the bar supply at the Ritz when we went there in 2004.) Also called Amer Picon this liqueur appears not to be available here. In fact one WEB site says "Amer Picon is a bitter cordial made with orange, gentian, and other ingredients. It has a bold bitter flavor and is often used as a digestive. At the current time, this product can be fairly difficult to find, and in fact doesn't appear to be available in the US at all." This wasn't always so. After our 2004 trip to France, we bought two bottles at Austin Wine Merchant. But that was their last and they never got any again. So if you are headed to France, pick me up a bottle. It's cheap but, of course, the reason I didn't bring any back was that carting bottles on the plane is a pain.

No comments: