Wednesday, December 24, 2008

In Case of Christmas Emergency-Break Glass

I'm not in the spirit of the season. Today's Holidailies prompt is "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch."

Yeah, so how do you fight it off? I've started another entry with a photo of the morning sky and devolved into such a funk that I ditched it, picture and all. (I'll get back to that.) I took this picture on the Capitol Metro train the other day. It's one of those escape tools, behind glass.

So, what's bothering me?

And how to break out of it?

Some would say I should go help others. But I know that I don't do well in direct contact with those in need. It's hard enough for me to help the parental units and friends in person. My money will have to suffice.

Some would say I just need to be thankful for what I have. A nice place to live; plenty of money for the lifestyle we lead (moderate to profligate); parental units still (somewhat) able to go it alone and cognizant of what is going on. I have my health, a good Internet connection and plenty to read. Yeah, I'm thankful. So?

Some would say I need to embrace (their) religion. Easier said than done.

Some would say I need to 'get professional help.'

My experience, however, is that one just keeps on getting up, doing stuff and pretending to be festive and the mood will change. Maybe I won't feel festive for the actual holidays. Maybe my mood will improve for...President's Day and the tax season. That could be useful.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

IMHO, all that stuff about pretend to be jolly and you'll feel better is a bunch of hockeypucks. I do find that keeping busy, especially if my surroundings end up more organized and more comfy when I'm done, does help keep the grumpies at bay. But this is, I think, a time of year when all the forced cheeriness is very depressing and I'll be glad when it's over and I can go back to being normal (I mean, what's norman for me).

Linda Ball said...

Funny you should say that about keeping busy. We were out for a walk and I decided I was going to come back and get through my in-box and organize some stuff.

I was reading my 2001 journal and there was a great sigh of relief when it was over. It's so...I don't know...forced??

deb said...

Yep, very ready to have it all over with this year. Ho, ho, hum.