Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Scallop Boat with Caviar Passengers

I've eaten beans and rice, of course, to get by, and got through college on tuna casseroles and such. But I've eaten my share of gourmet treats, too. And I've never been hungry.

Today's photo shows some lobsters we were buying not long after they were brought in from traps. Not much longer after that we were eating them...they were cooked right there at the dock restaurant. This was in the summer of 2005 on the rocky coast of Maine.

But what about the scallop boat with the caviar passengers of the title? Yes, that was just last night at Jeffrey's. We were sitting at the bar and had ordered some appetizers. I'd ordered a cauliflower bisque with a scallop and caviar. Before it arrived I heard Abby, who was sitting next to me, describe the soup as having a 'scallop boat with caviar passengers.' I knew her name was Abby because FFP was with me so, of course, he'd introduced himself to the strangers to my right...Abby and Leo. Anyway, I thought this description of the soup was hilarious. I said something to FFP about what a contrast our evening's nourishment was to the story of the Indian orphans. He'd already told me about his interview that day, but he proceeded to tell Abby and Leo.

"I interviewed this woman today. In 1999, she was selling TV. [Ed. TV advertising he means, surely one of the most soul-draining occupations.] She and a girlfriend who also sold TV were out for drinks. She asked her friend, 'Aren't you tired of doing this. I am.'" So they sold stock they'd accumulated (before the bubble burst) and traveled around the world kind of randomly. They went first to Maui. Then South Africa and Egypt. Anyway, they ended up in India and on a whim they went to this village looking for this kid who was one of those kids you 'adopt' and send money and letters and gifts to through agencies. Her friend had been sending stuff to this kid and they figured he really didn't exist. But they found him. And he had every card, letter and little gift she'd sent him! They were invited to dinner at an orphanage. There were 150 kids or so there. They were being fed rice only, but the women were visitors and got chicken. When this woman went to put a little boy to bed, he was so thin he almost fell through the slats on the sleeping platform (they had no mattresses). She tried to adopt him, but the adoption system is corrupt and impossible at every level. So she decided to try to build orphanages and save the kids. She started The Miracle Foundation. She has a simple three level approach: shelter, protein, medical care."

And then the soup came. It was delicious. But I couldn't stop thinking about those Indian orphans who if they are lucky enough to be in an orphanage may only have rice to eat.

No comments: