Sunday, December 17, 2006

What to Write About?

Today's duty to blog was a little frustrating. I thought about writing about how the mayor of Austin brought a friend along to his Mother Ginger performance who was the daughter of someone I went to high school with. I wasn't at the performance of "The Nutcracker" this afternoon, but FFP was there. He snapped this picture of the mayor ready to climb up in the giant skirt and perform. He called me from backstage and ask me if I remembered this gal from high school. I remembered her. As one of the people much cooler than I was in high school. (Of course, those numbers were legion.) But that topic didn't seem to go anywhere.

I thought about taking the writing prompt from Holidailies: "Tell us your best road-trip story." Three road trips popped into my head. The 1966 adventure to California and back in a VW bug with no AC accompanied by my sister (who was five years older and married and, in fact, organized the trip so she could visit her husband who was at a California Air Force base). The early seventies trip to the Texas coast without money or the good sense to start home in time to get back to work. And the 2005 road trip that FFP and I took...by far the longest trip in time and car miles of our marriage.That last one is pretty well-documented here.

But no, road trips didn't do it.

I thought about a mundane focus. Like the way the peppermint soap that John Paul DeJoria gave us made the whole master suite smell like peppermint. The soap was part of a thank you gift for "getting" to be Mother Ginger last Sunday. But that seemed to be all there was to that story. Room smells like peppermint (and presumably we are enjoying the soap and we smell like peppermint, too). Not much more to it.

I thought about writing about how I do NOT collect Santas. You might think I do. I distributed around the living areas of our house all my Christmas decorations. The preponderance of them are bendable, posable Christmas figures. Most of them are Santa Claus although there are reindeer, elves, snowmen, penquins and a couple of Christmas trees. But I don't collect Santas. Or even Christmas stuff. I collect bendable, posable, collectible figures. It happens that many of the figures represent holidays. Although they are not, by far, the preponderance of my collection. Maybe twenty percent. But, no, this topic didn't seem to have enough staying power to make an entire entry either.

OK. I considered talking about my rare trip to the grocery store. You see, FFP does almost all the grocery shopping. He always has, but even more lately since he's taken over shopping for his mother and that means he is at the store anyway. My dad usually does his own shopping but he is staying home just now recovering from a medical procedure and wanted me to shop. I had an abnormally hard time executing this short list: bananas, milk, bacon, egg nog, V8, cookies. The Randall's near his place was having a grand 'reopening.' I was hungry and I ended up having samples of steak, brisket (with Oaxacan barbeque sauce), a spicy cheese spread on a cracker and a hot three-cheese sandwich. However, I stuck to Dad's list except for getting a box of Clementines I split with him. But, yeah, grocery shopping...not a whole entry.

I thought about writing about my frustration trying to shop for a new laptop. I thought about writing about what I've been reading. But I just couldn't get into it.

In the end...I threw everything in here because I really couldn't think of anything to say. I couldn't come up with a coherent reason for this entry to exist. But here it is.

No comments: